Assoc. Professor Ron Cox
- Convenor ACCARNSI -
Ron Cox has been awarded Engineering Australia’s prestigious Sir John Holland Award for Civil Engineer of the Year 2008, in recognition of his long standing and continuing contribution to the profession and community, particularly in the field of coastal engineering. Ron has had extensive experience in the coastal engineering and coastal zone management area, working with industry and government, (local, state and federal) both within Australia and overseas. As an Associate Professor in Civil and Environmental Engineering at the University of New South Wales, and now the Convenor of ACCARNSI (Australian Climate Change Adaptation Research Network for Settlements and Infrastructure); he continues to provide a leading role at the Water Research Laboratory.
Ron was recently (1998 to 2001) Chairman of the Institution of Engineers Australia National Committee on Coastal and Ocean Engineering (NCCOE), and has led the development of and review/updating of various key documents for engineers practising in the coastal zone. Ron was also on the organising committee for the successful International Conference on Coastal Engineering (ICCE 2000) and is also the technical program organiser for the PIANC International Congress 2002. This conference series plays a key role for engineers and managers within the Australian environment. In his continuing role as a past chair of NCCOE and board member of PIANC Australia he is actively meeting on a regular basis, with the main players in coastal management across the country including Federal and State Government agencies.
Ron is personally responsible for the development and management of the postgraduate coursework program in Coastal Engineering and Management offered as a specialisation within the UNSW MEngSc program. Student supervision is widespread including both research students (Masters and PhD level) as well as Year 4 Honours student theses. The majority of this research is related to engineering in the coastal environment, eg, seagrasses, river bank rehabilitation - vegetation, climate change and management within the coastal zone, beach erosion, coastal protection, coastal pollution and waste disposal.
Panels & Committees
- Member - Editorial Board Coastal Engineer Journal, Japan
- Member - Editorial Board Maritime Engineering Journal, UK
- Member - IEAust National Committee Coastal and Ocean Engineering
- Board Member - PIANC Australia
- Member - International Advisory Committee and Scientific Committee (COPEDEC)
- Climate Change Scientific Research Panel, OEH NSW Government
- Coastal Expert Panel Advising Ministerial Taskforce, NSW Government
Areas of Expertise
- Physical Modelling of Barrow Island LNG Plant Materials Offload Facility
- Physical Modelling of Geotextile Breakwaters, Abu Dhabi
- Physical Modelling of Shell Cove Boat Harbour Entrance
- Research and Development Studies for ELCOMAX® ELCOROCK® Geotextile Sand Containers
- Sea Level Rise and Coastal Hazard Assessment for Clarence City Council, Tasmania