Dr Wendy Timms
- Consulting Specialist -
Dr Wendy Timms is a Senior Lecturer in the UNSW School of Mining, and a Consulting Specialist at the Water Research Laboratory. She has worked in various roles at WRL since 1998, and continues to lead work in the NCGRT centrifuge laboratory at WRL. Wendy has a BSc in Geology, Hydrology and Chemistry and a PhD in Environmental Engineering, and has since worked in research, government, and consulting in Australia and Canada. She has managed and undertaken several investigation projects using desktop, field methods and numerical modelling (see CV for full details).
Wendy currently leads the aquitard research program of the National Centre for Groundwater Research and Training. Her primary fields of interest are related to water flow through low permeability sediments and rock, water quality for beneficial use, groundwater issues in mining and dewatering, geochemical and isotope tracers and stormwater harvesting for managed aquifer recharge.
Wendy teaches at undergraduate and postgraduate level in mine water and waste management, geology, geological risk and geophysics. She has worked at mine sites in Canada, the Hunter Valley, the Sydney Basin, Northern Territory and Queensland for commodities including potash, uranium and coal and has recently led student field trips to copper and gold mines.
While Wendy’s work is focused on groundwater systems, her practical experience deals with many aspects of integrated water management in both urban and rural areas, including subsurface intakes for desalination, water treatment and management of wastes to prevent subsurface contamination. Wendy currently serves the International Association of Hydrogeologists Australia as Vice President and provides independent scientific reviews.
Areas of Expertise
- Bungendore Groundwater Model
- Feasibility Assessment for Managed Aquifer Recharge – Joynton Avenue Re-Development Site
- Groundwater Mapping and Transition Zones, Namoi Catchment
- Groundwater Monitoring and Evaluation and Grower Survey, Namoi Catchment
- Hat Head Effluent Groundwater Monitoring Program
- Hydrogeological Investigation of the Fate of Salt Mobilised Under Dryland Cropping on the Cryon Plain, North Western NSW
- Iluka Aquifer Injection Scheme
- Lakes Beach Desalination Plant Groundwater Investigations
- Mallowa Creek Surface Water Investigations
- Modelling of Pit No. 1, Ranger Mine, Northern Territory
- Potential Impacts of Effluent Re-Use on Groundwater at Tamworth
- Pre-Feasibility Assessment of Managed Aquifer Recharge in the Botany Aquifer
- Sea Level Rise and Coastal Hazard Assessment for Clarence City Council, Tasmania