WRL is widely regarded as the birthplace of Coastal Engineering in Australia. Our site on Sydney’s Northern Beaches is home to the largest coastal hydraulics research laboratory facility in Australia.
We’re experts in:
- Coastal process research and understanding
- Coastal hazard definition and inundation studies
- Coastal zone management and climate change adaptation
- Foreshore revetment design and testing
- Impact assessment of nearshore coastal structures on beach planform
- Dredging and beach nourishment
- Design optimisation of coastal structures, harbours, ports and marinas
- ‘Real time’ coastal monitoring and measurement utilising leading-edge coastal imaging techniques, UAVs and Lidar
- Forensic coastal engineering
- Expert peer review
Investigations utilising state-of-the-art technologies in both numerical (spectral and phase resolving wave) and physical (2D flume and 3D basin) model studies include wave generation and propagation, wave run-up and overtopping, wave forces and stability of coastal structures, littoral sediment transport, tidal hydrodynamics and entrance stability, coastal and estuarine morphology, beach and shoreline erosion and estuarine sedimentation. Automated coastal imaging techniques and our fleet of UAVs are utilised for both pre- during and post- assessment of coastal engineering and management activities.